Fudge Brownies Made With Everyday Ingredients
It's no secret that I love baking.
My only hurdle when it comes to baking is... well, I'm lazy. I am constantly searching for recipes I can make without having to run to the store to pick up ingredients.
This recipe came about because I was craving something sweet. Cravings get a bad rep - but in my experience, the best thing we can do when we crave something is to satisfy the craving. We don't need to go overboard in doing so, but we do need to listen to our bodies and honour what our mind is telling us.
So, I was craving something sweet. But I was also feeling lazy and was still in my pyjamas (thumbs up for Labour Day weekend). I took a look in my pantry and essentially just threw together ingredients that I already had in the cupboard.
I'm still learning about baking proportions and ratios, so these brownies aren't without their technical and aesthetic flaws. But they were exactly what I needed, and as a bonus, I didn't even have to take a trip to the store. I see that as a double win.
Makes 12-16 brownies
- 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup of peanut butter
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup of chopped chocolate chunks, or chocolate chips
- Add-ins of your choice (I added stroopwafles from Trader Joe's).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine wet ingredients (applesauce, peanut butter, honey, vanilla, egg) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add in the dry ingredients (cocoa powder, baking soda) and mix well.
- Add the chopped chocolate chunks (or desired add-ins) and incorporate into the batter.
- Spray an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly into the corners.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing into squares (you may want to cool the brownies in the fridge).
If you make these brownies, let me know in the comments, or tag me in your pictures on Instagram (you can find me at @meghanturnbull).